History of Cathedral of St. Columba
The Cathedral Church of St. Columba, founded in 1847, is the home of the Cathedral Parish and the Mother Church of the Diocese of Youngstown. It also includes the community of St. Casimir of the Brier Hill neighborhood of Youngstown’s north side. St. Casimir was founded in 1906 to serve the Polish speaking immigrants of the area and merged with the Cathedral parish in 2010.
When St. Columba was destroyed by fire on September 2, 1954, it was rebuilt on the same site and the present structure was completed on November 9, 1958.
St. Columba Parish was organized in 1847, and the first building was erected in 1853. A second church was built in 1868, and a larger one in 1897. When the Diocese of Youngstown, encompassing Ashtabula, Portage, Stark, Columbiana, Mahoning, and Trumbull counties, was created in 1943, St. Columba Church was designated the cathedral. A cathedral is the mother church, or bishop’s church, so called from the bishop’s chair (cathedra), symbol of a bishop’s authority. St. Columba.
Designed by Diehl and Diehl , Architects, Detroit, Michigan, and constructed by the Charles Shutrump and Sons Company, Youngstown, Ohio, the Cathedral is an example of modern ecclesiastical architecture.
The mission of the Cathedral Parish of St. Columba is twofold: to participate in the saving mission of Jesus Christ by caring for the spiritual and physical needs of people in Central Youngstown; and to serve as the spiritual center of the Diocese of Youngstown by fostering the mission of the Bishop.
The third St. Columba Church (which was transformed in to a cathedral in 1943) was destroyed by a fire in 1954. This new cathedral was opened in 1958 and continues to serve the parish today.