St. Stanislaus Prayer Service at St. Columba
On Sunday, Apr 2, 2023, at 1:00 p.m., Bishop David J. Bonnar will lead a prayer service and program for the people who once belonged to St. Stanislaus Parish, Youngstown, at St. Columba Cathedral and Parish Hall. The service will be in thanksgiving for the parish that served many Polish families and others of the area from 1902 until it closed in 2021. The program will feature a short video history of the parish, a report on the parish archives, and will include the distribution of materials from the church – books, holy cards, memorial bricks, and devotional items, especially those that relate to the Polish culture that nurtured parish life for generations.
St. Stanislaus Parish History
St. Stanislaus Parish was organized in 1902 when the Polish-speaking parishioners of St. Columba Parish had reached such a number that a Polish-speaking priest, Rev. Charles Ruszkowski, was appointed as administrator for them. They continued to meet in St. Columba Church until eighty families built their own church on Youngstown’s South Side in 1904. As their numbers increased, they outgrew that structure and built the one presently on Williamson Avenue in 1925. The parish was active through the 20th century in honoring Polish cultural and religious traditions, and helping to resettle immigrants and refugees. Many in the community remember fondly their renowned weekly pierogi sales, which lasted for 40 years. With a dwindling population, parish programming and Masses came to an end in 2020, and the church was closed in 2021.