Position: Finance Manager – Tri-Parish
- Resurrection Parish (Lexington) https://www.resurrectionlexington.com/
- St. Peter’s Parish (Mansfield) https://mansfieldstpeters.org/parish
- St. Mary’s of the Snows (Mansfield) http://www.mansfieldstmarys.org/
Reports to: Pastor
Effective date: 7/1/2022
Interested Applicants: Send a cover letter, resume and references to Paula Nestor at email@example.com
General Summary: The finance manager provides leadership and day-to-day supervision of the temporal affairs of three parishes and two schools in such a way as to enable the pastor to concentrate on the spiritual affairs of the parishes. The finance manager oversees the business functions of the parishes in an accurate, efficient, thorough, professional, and timely manner, which will strengthen the Church and give the appropriate financial foundation to support the pursuit of the parishes’ missions, ministries and educational objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assures that sound financial management is practiced by the parishes. This includes development and monitoring of budgets; assurance of timely and accurate reporting to parishioners, the diocese and various government agencies; assurance of proper deposit, disbursement and accounting for all parish community-related funds.
- Responsible for tracking the financial business transactions that include, but are not limited to accruals, cash transactions, analyzing financial statements, reconciliation of bank account etc. Must ensure proper accounts are being charged and accurate records are kept.
- Seeks approval from the pastor in concert with the policies, procedures, and guidelines set forth by the diocese regarding financial and temporal transactions; ensures compliance with the diocesan Temporal Goods Policies.
- Reviews budget and financial reports in conjunction with pastor and finance councils.
- Acts as a liaison on behalf of parishes with diocese and other entities regarding fiscal responsibilities.
- Coordinates and reviews affiliated organizations’ funds.
- Assists the pastor in recruiting, hiring and dismissing employees with the guidance of the diocesan Human Resource Department; maintains an adequate level of knowledge on current employment laws.
- Supervises all business office employees not directly accountable to the pastor.
- Creates and updates a parish employee handbook in consultation with the pastor and assistance from the diocesan Human Resource Department. Ensures the handbook and any revisions are reviewed by the Diocese for sound legal policies.
- Provides new employees with the employee handbook, I-9 verification, payroll forms, VIRTUS registration, BCI/FBI backgrounds checks, and benefit enrollment.
- Establishes and maintains position descriptions and personnel evaluations for employees.
- Maintains accurate parish and facilities records including repair, construction, and financial, when applicable.
- Coordinates insurance and other benefit programs of the parish, employees and property.
- Ensures compliance with the policies, procedures and guidelines of the Protected Self Insurance Program of the Diocese of Toledo.
- Attends financial council training at least once every three years, which focuses on Temporal Goods Policies that must be implemented at the parishes.
- Comes prepared to staff meetings and other committee meetings appropriate to the position; attends business manager meetings scheduled by the Diocese of Toledo.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- BA/BS degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or related business discipline from an accredited college.
- Must have the ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with employees at all levels.
- Ability to face situations firmly, courteously, tactfully, and with respect for the rights of others.
- Requires a high level of computer expertise in Microsoft Office products.
- Practicing Catholic and registered member of a Catholic parish faith community, preferred.
- Must be flexible, innovative in a fast paced, time-critical environment and the ability to work independently.
- Must be able to organize and prioritize work, be proactive, take initiative, resolve complex problems, follow through, and simultaneously manage multiple priorities.
- Performs work at a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, including ability to produce clear, concise reports and recommendations and make presentations to varied groups.
- Exercises considerable independence and judgment with a high level of confidentiality.
- Must successfully pass the required background check and all requirements of the Program for Youth/Adult Protection prior to employment and maintain a satisfactory background check throughout employment.
This job opportunity is in the Diocese of Toledo. See job opportunities in the Diocese of Youngstown at doy.org/jobs