St. John Vianney Parish in Mentor, OH is seeking a full time Director of Faith Formation (PCL) to coordinate the development and implementation of the total religious education program in the parish including sacramental preparation and faith formation at all levels.
Education Requirements for a Full Time Faith Formation Director:
Bachelor’s degree in theology or religious studies (Master’s degree preferred), parish ministry experience, and diocesan certification as Lay Ecclesial Minister or Master Catechist or willing to seek certification.
Scope of Responsibility:
A full time Director of Faith Formation is responsible for the Parish School of Religion, sacramental preparation for First Reconciliation, First Communion, and Confirmation, and other faith formation programs and events in the parish. This professionally qualified minister reports directly to the pastor.
Ministerial Job Knowledge, Responsibilities and Skills:
- Clearly articulates the diocesan and St. John Vianney Parish Catholic philosophy and goals
- Promotes the development of a community of faith within the parish and among by employing principles and techniques which promote Christian community
- Is familiar with various theological perspectives in the Church and can accept working with various theologies
- Knowledgeable of catechetical resource materials for the purpose of Parish Faith Formation, including on-line resources
- Prepares presentations for Parish Faith Formation and Sacrament Events in conjunction with other parish staff
- Is computer literate
- Prepares and administers a Parish budget for Faith Formation activities
- Maintains updated knowledge on religious formation; attends diocesan religion faith formation meetings/seminars
Parish School of Religion Responsibilities:
Coordinates the PSR Program in conjunction with the Pastor and/or his delegate:
- Provides the planning, preparation, and evaluation necessary for excellence in curriculum and instruction.
- Recruits, motivates, and directs the support personnel for PSR grades 1-8 with the Pastor, or his delegate
- Promotes the participation of catechists in the Diocesan Certification Program and other ongoing faith formation.
- Prepares for and supervises the Sunday PSR sessions; conducts formal and informal classroom observations
- Competently manages personnel matters; sensitive and responsive to needs of catechists and aides
- Assists the Pastor, or his delegate, in addressing concerns of catechists/ aides and students/parents to effect the smooth operation of the PSR Program, including any necessary discipline
- Writes, prints, and distributes weekly newsletters for PSR catechists/aides, and for parents/students, as needed
- Coordinates facility resources at Lake Catholic High School, and maintains a good working relationship with them
- Holds meetings for home-schooling parents twice a year, and maintains good communication and support throughout the academic year; keeps computer records of achievement of home-school children and makes reports to the Pastor
- Implements and maintains communication plan PSR and Sacramental Preparation programs.
Sacramental Preparation Responsibilities:
Coordinates sacramental preparation programs and celebrations of First Reconciliation, First Communion, and Confirmation in conjunction with the Pastor and/or his delegate:
- Provides sacrament preparation programs and meetings for parents of PSR/All Saints School and home-schooled children
- Provides for the planning, preparation, and evaluation necessary for excellence in sacramental preparation.
- Recruits, motivates, and directs the support personnel for these programs
- Prepares for and presents/supervises the sacramental sessions, including Confirmation sessions and activities, Enrichment Evenings, Parents Meetings, and rehearsals.
- Prepares Mass plans for sacramental celebrations.
- Supervises and directs activities of Parish Faith Formation Secretary
- Acts as liaison to various parish organizations.
Please send your resume to Fr. Marty Dober at: FrDober@SJVmentor.org