St. Rose Parish in Girard, Ohio seeks to hire a new music director, beginning mid-January 2023. This position of Music Director is full time and salary/exempt. The music director reports to the pastor. The music director needs to embrace the Saint Rose Vision Statement. The successful candidate needs to be versed in and comfortable with both traditional Catholic hymns, service music in Latin and English, implementing “singing the Mass”, and not singing at the Mass, the use of English Propers, and appropriate contemporary music. For a list of duties regarding liturgies, interaction with the school, parish staff and other responsibilities, please see below.
Job Requirements: Bachelors in Music Performance (organ as principle instrument, voice and conducting secondary instrument), Music Education, or Liturgical Music. The successful candidate must be a trained organist, and secondarily a pianist; a through knowledge of Catholic Liturgy is also required, and a basic knowledge and use of Gregorian Chant.
Documents required: Cover letter of interest Resume Three- to five-person List of References with contact information. Three letters of recommendation pertaining to qualifications and an audio or video recording of yourself playing and singing a hymn of your choice. Send to: Fr. Jordan Kelly, O.P., pastor, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact Fr. Jordan at the email address above or at 330-545-4351.
Music Ministry Responsibilities
- Provide organ accompaniment and musical direction of the congregation, choir, cantors and instrumentalists at all liturgies. These include Weekend Masses, School Masses, Solemnities and Feasts, Funerals, Weddings, First Communion, Confirmation, parish devotions (e.g., Stations of the Cross, May Crowning, Forty Hours, Vespers during Advent and Lent).
- In consultation with the Pastor, plan and prepare all liturgical music, ensuring the selections reflect the breath of our Catholic Patrimony, the via pulchritudinis, and liturgical appropriateness.
- Conduct rehearsals with the Parish and School Choirs.
- Collaborate with the School Music Teacher in preparation of music for weekly School Masses.
- Develop and manage the Music Ministry budget and music library. This involves oversight of music purchasing, reprint licensing, accounts and subscriptions, instruments and equipment.
- Hire substitutes (for vacations) and additional music ministers when necessary (e.g., simultaneous Christmas and Easter Masses).
- Develop worship aids as needed; and lead selection of a new parish hymnal.
- Lead planning to replace the current organ.
- Computer skills are required.
- Background clearances and completion of Safe Environment Policy training required
See all job opportunities in the Diocese of Youngstown at doy.org/jobs