Immaculate Conception Church, popularly called St Mary’s Canton was established with a school in 1899 to accommodate members of St John’s and St Peter’s who were living in the Southern section of Canton. The first Mass was celebrated in the basement on 24th of December 1899, and the completed structure was dedicated on May 20, 1900, under the pastor, Thomas R. Heimann. A new addition to the school building was completed in 1949.
St. Mary/St. Benedict Parish History
On May 28, 2010, Most Reverend George V. Murry, S.J. Bishop of Youngstown announced the merging of the Parishes of St. Mary and St. Benedict. These two Parishes officially merged on March 25, 2011 with a new name St. Mary/St. Benedict Parish Canton. The new St. Mary/St. Benedict Parish retained the worship sites of St Mary’s Church and St Benedict’s Church. The Rev. Benson Claret Okpara was appointed as the Administrator of the new Parish. Under his leadership, there has been a steady increase in the parish enrollment.