Job Title: Principal
Reports to: President
Effective Date: July 1, 2023
In the spirit of the Gospel, we are committed to educate the whole person to lead and to serve; enlightening the mind, developing the body, touching the heart, and inspiring the soul.
Through this ministry, we remain united in and committed to providing a powerful Catholic, Marianist educational experience that remains accessible, inclusive, transformative, and intentionally distinctive.
St. Vincent-St. Mary High School (STVM) is a four-year, co-educational, college preparatory, Marianist- sponsored Catholic high school. With roots in the Akron community for more than 125 years, STVM provides a high-quality Catholic education, focused on faith formation, rigorous academics, and service learning. STVM holds the distinction of being the only STEM designated Catholic high school in the State of Ohio. Our school is governed by an Executive Board of Trustees, and working in cooperation with the administrative team, it operates within the Diocese of Cleveland. Our school meets all standards of the Ohio Catholic School Accrediting Association, North Central Association, and the State of Ohio.
St. Vincent-St. Mary operates under the President-Principal Model. The principal works closely with the President, Chief Operating Officer, Director of Enrollment, Director of Advancement and several other departments in support of our mission. The principal is the primary instructional leader of the school. As such, the principal is directly responsible for the academic, co-curricular, counseling and campus ministry programs of the school and will also provide ample opportunity for continuing education for all staff members. The principal has the authority and responsibility for the daily operations of the areas mentioned directly above and includes the setting and implementation of academic policies, procedures, and programs. Additionally, in close collaboration with the President, the principal is expected to help nurture the faith development of the school community by providing opportunities for spiritual growth.
The principal reports directly to the President who is responsible for the continued fostering of the mission of the school. Our search committee is actively seeking candidates with experience in leading academically rigorous curricula, utilizing instructional best practices for meeting diversity among learners, and engaging in assessment of teaching and learning to monitor growth and inform decision making. Candidates who are knowledgeable with the challenges facing most Catholic schools today and comfortable meeting those challenges are desirable. The next Principal must have demonstrated proficiency in building and maintaining internal and external community relationships that will ensure the continued success and sustainability of St. Vincent-St. Mary High School.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS, SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate teams to achieve accreditation and STEM recertification – experience a plus.
- Ensure that academic policies and curriculum are followed and enhanced.
- Help teachers and support staff maximize their teaching potential through regular supervision, evaluation and informed feedback.
- Work collaboratively with the staff and diocese to provide for the revision of instructional programs and professional staff development.
- Maintain open and consistent lines of communication with students, parents, and staff; monitor, listen and respond to concerns brought forth by stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Encourage, guide and assist all students and provide opportunities for student leadership, particularly through our House System.
- Create an atmosphere in which students, faculty and staff can achieve their full potential and be free of any bias.
- Collaborate in spiritual leadership of the school community and ensure that appropriate religious and campus ministry activities occur regularly.
- Ensure compliance with all ODE reporting in partnership with the Diocese of Cleveland.
- Design and reinforce the academic program of the school, the scheduling of courses, and related activities.
- Arrange for the purchase of academic materials and equipment in keeping with the academic budget.
- Approve and oversee all student co-curricular activities, to include athletics.
- Develop and oversee programs of guidance and counseling, student services and supervision, and enforce disciplinary measures, when necessary, as outlined in the student handbook.
- Establish the academic criteria for admission to the school and collaborate closely with admissions staff on effective student recruitment and retention policies.
- Hire instructional faculty and staff.
- Manage all operations of the instructional program.
- Work collaboratively with school staff such as security, cafeteria, and maintenance to ensure a safe and positive learning environment.
- Confer regularly with school leadership on the development and management of the instructional budget.
- Principal is expected to be present at any and all appropriate events and positively engage with stakeholders so as to serve as an additional ambassador of the school within the broader community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Educational Leadership or Catholic School Administration
- Valid Principal License or State of Ohio Professional Administrator License
- Valid State of Ohio Teaching License (Concentrations in science, math, and/or technology a plus)
- Minimum of two years of experience in a leadership role, preferably as a high school principal
- Proven track record enhancing teacher performance and improving student achievement
- High school teaching experience preferred
- Must be a faithfully practicing Catholic.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates can learn about our school community by visiting www.STVM.com. Our search committee is on track to receive applications, and identify and secure our next Principal. We anticipate interviews to begin as top candidates are identified and conclude with a recommendation to the President by mid-June. We encourage applicants to submit their cover letter, resume or CV, and three professional references to the school Director of Human Resources at email@example.com.
This opportunity is located in the Diocese of Cleveland.
See all job opportunities in the Diocese of Youngstown at doy.org/jobs