SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Publications Editor, to provide event coverage and other photography for The Catholic Echo magazine and media website. To photograph events involving the Bishop. To assist the Publications Editor with external photography assignments. To organize archival photos for the Diocese of Youngstown.
Part-time position, 15 hours per week, with weekend and evening responsibilities.
PRIMARY DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the direction of the Publications Editor, takes photos for feature stories, profiles, cover stories and more for The Catholic Echo print magazine and website
- Acts as the primary photographer responsible for covering the events on the Bishop’s calendar, working with the Publications Editor to assign events to freelance photographers when necessary
- Provides coverage for events around the six counties of the Diocese
- Meets deadlines for assignments
- Assists the Publications Editor with external photography assignments
- Processes all photos with the help of the production team
- Maintains and oversees digital photo archiving system
- Maintains a list of file photos that would be useful to have in the future and, when there is downtime, works toward obtaining photos from the list. For example, photos of specific churches, annual events or topics that are covered every year
- Posts photos to Instagram
- Proposes new ideas about assignments we should make and new assets we should develop for The Catholic Echo and other diocesan publications
- Works with the Publications Editor and staff writer on captions
- Responsible for acquisition and upkeep of all Catholic Echo photography equipment
- Attends weekly edit meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the Publications Editor
- Practicing Catholic committed to the mission and values of the Diocese of Youngstown and the Catholic Church
- A bachelor’s degree in photography or commensurate experience
- A portfolio of professional photography samples
- Knowledge of computer software, including Microsoft, Adobe Creative suite products and cloud-based project management tools
- Familiarity with WordPress a plus
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to cover stories in all six counties of the Diocese.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to track and manage work hours and track mileage for reimbursement
- Willing to work weekends and evenings to cover events
- Background clearance and Safe Environment training required
PRINCIPAL RELATIONSHIPS: Publications Editor, regarding photography assignments, photo archives organization and captions; Staff Writer, on captions and event coverage scheduling; Production staff, regarding story layout, photo selection and photo archives organization; Proofreaders, on captions; Communications Director, on diocesan photography projects; Bishop, for direction on specific assignments; Executive Assistant to the Bishop, on scheduling and event details
To Apply: Please send resume, portfolio and cover letter to email@example.com. Candidates will be considered until the position is filled.
See all positions at doy.org/jobs