Superintendent of Catholic Schools
The Catholic Diocese of Youngstown seeks a Superintendent of Schools whose passionate understanding of and commitment to the ministry of Catholic schools will provide forward-thinking leadership for the Catholic Schools of the Diocese of Youngstown. Located in Northeast Ohio, the Diocese of Youngstown serves the six counties of Ashtabula, Columbiana, Mahoning, Portage, Stark, and Trumbull. Its 25 schools serve approximately 6,770 students in preschool through grade twelve. The Office of Catholic Schools supports the evangelizing mission of the Church and works collaboratively with parishes and other Diocesan ministries.
Youngstown Diocesan Catholic Schools nurture faith and strive to provide an environment where students and staff experience the love of God personally and communally. As academic institutions, they inspire learning and critical thinking along with fostering service and building leadership to equip students to live their faith.
The Superintendent is appointed by the Bishop and acts as the chief executive and educational officer for the Catholic Schools in the implementation of strategic planning and policies.
The Superintendent leads and serves with a committed staff consisting of an associate superintendent, a Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Government Programs, a Director of Licensure and Technology, and a full-time and part-time administrative assistants. The Office of Catholic Schools provides leadership, support, and supervision for Catholic schools to be an integral, viable element of the Diocesan Church’s mission of education through policy and professional development. The Office establishes the climate and framework for fostering excellence in education in the Catholic schools of the Diocese of Youngstown.
Schools are actively engaged in ensuring an intentional Catholic culture, strong academics, and student experiences that foster the whole child for our diverse population of students. Enrollment has been moving in an upward trend and has the potential to grow further through the recently added state of Ohio universal EdChoice program. There is the potential for opportunities to re-vision financial viability and expanded student programming.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports to the Vicar General and is a member of the Administrative Board.
- Works with the Bishop, Vicar General, the Vicar for Missionary Discipleship, and the Chief Financial Officer to review and address special circumstances in the operation of the schools.
- Leads and supports the staff of the Office of Catholic Schools in implementing a cohesive vision for the schools.
- Communicates with the varied stakeholders of the Catholic Schools, keeping the mission of Catholic Schools as the top priority.
- Oversees strategic planning for the Office of Catholic Schools and the schools as a whole and supports individual school strategic planning.
- Oversees school budgeting and fiscal stewardship; provides support in conjunction with the Diocesan Finance Office.
- Focuses on administrator quality and development in their role as spiritual, instructional, and managerial leaders.
- Ensures a strong academic program based on evidenced-based current practice.
- Oversees the Boards of Specified Jurisdiction.
- Works with the Diocesan Attorney on legal matters involving the schools.
- Supports schools in best practices in marketing and enrollment management.
- Oversees implementation of School Choice and other scholarship programs.
- Manages the Good Samaritan Scholarship Fund (Scholarship Granting Organization) and the Diocese of Youngstown Foundation Tuition Assistance Program with their respective advisory boards.
- Ensures compliance with Diocesan policies including the Safe Environment Policy and the Ohio Department of Education.
- Meets with the Catholic Conference of Ohio and the five other Ohio Diocesan Superintendents.
- Serves with the Ohio Diocesan Superintendents on the Commission of the Ohio Catholic Schools Accrediting Association.
- Works collaboratively with the Office of Faith Formation and Lay Ecclesial Ministry to support policies for the ongoing formation and certification of administrators and teachers, sacramental preparation policies of the diocese and parish, approved textbooks and diocesan curriculum for catechesis.
- Works collaboratively with Diocesan Office of Communications in regards to all internal and external communications
- Works collaborative with the Diocesan Chancellor and Archivist.
- Practicing/ in good standing Catholic with an understanding of and commitment to Catholic education
- Minimum of a master’s degree in education
- Successful experience as a principal in a Catholic school
- Supervisory and leadership experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with clarity
- Excellent organizational skills with a strong work ethic
- Ability to collaborate with different stakeholders
Opening Notice: November 15, 2023
Deadline for Applications: January 16, 2024
Interview Dates TBA
Effective date: July 1, 2024
Send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Msgr. John Zuraw, Vicar General
Diocese of Youngstown
144 West Wood Street
Youngstown, Ohio 44503