In summer of 1923, the Most Reverend Joseph Schrembs established the parish of St. Benedict, placing it under the care of the Benedictine Fathers of the Archabbey of St. Vincent in Latrobe, PA. The Rev James Spalding O.S.B was appointed as the first resident Pastor on August 4, 1923. In September of 1923, a temporary church was constructed. On Sunday, November 11, 1923, the first Mass was offered in the building, which was given the name of St. Benedict. The present church edifice was constructed and dedicated in 1925.
St. Mary/St. Benedict Parish History
On May 28, 2010, Most Reverend George V. Murry, S.J. Bishop of Youngstown announced the merging of the Parishes of St. Mary and St. Benedict. These two Parishes officially merged on March 25, 2011 with a new name St. Mary/St. Benedict Parish Canton. The new St. Mary/St. Benedict Parish retained the worship sites of St Mary’s Church and St Benedict’s Church. The Rev. Benson Claret Okpara was appointed as the Administrator of the new Parish. Under his leadership, there has been a steady increase in the parish enrollment.