Immaculate Conception-Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish has changed its name to St. Angela Merici Parish, by Canonical Decree effective March 6, 2012.
Sacred Heart of Jesus
Sacred Heart Parish was founded in 1888 to serve the people of the Haselton area of the east side of Youngstown. In the first part of its 110 year history, Sacred Heart served the thriving immigrant Irish and Italian populations who worked in the steel mills. The parish operated a school on the premises from 1923-1982. Due to declining enrollment the school was merged with Immaculate Conception School on Oak Street. Sacred Heart is a viable presence to the local civic community, involved in a newly formed group ACTION. This group crosses ethnic, and religious lines and has become involved in helping solve problems of center-city Youngstown.
Presently, twice a week, parishioners of Sacred Heart prepare a hot meal program which serves 120-150 people each time. The people of Sacred Heart have made a commitment to be an ongoing support to the local neighborhood and the city of Youngstown, Sacred Heart Parish is racially and ethnically diverse. Father Mears decided to establish a parish on the east side of the city of Youngstown. He purchased property on Oak Street and donated $5,000.00 toward the construction of a new church.
Father William James Manning of Warren was appointed the first pstor of Immaculate Conception Parish in July, 1882. The church building is the oldest Catholic Church Structure in the city of Youngstown (Cornerstone 1888). The parish enjoys a multi-cultural mix of catholics and believes in their motto as a “Church For All Reasons.”
Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Conception parishes merged on January 9, 2011 to form Immaculate Conception-Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish.
397 S. Jackson St.
Youngstown, Ohio 44506
Saturday Vigil: 4:00pm
Weekdays: Wednesday – 8:30am
Rev. Kevin Peters, Pastor